Thursday, January 05, 2006

First Two Weeks

The first two weeks back are always a pain in the arse. Though I'm sure that goes for trying anything new or getting back into any routine. The worse part is that you know the pain and aches are coming yet it seems to always come as a surprise. Somehow we end up faking ourselves out that we will be just fine. That our off-season training will get us through the first couple weeks of harder training without too many bumps in the road. Then there is always the enviable U-turn as we are smacked with reality. The reality that this training is difficult and that the body isn't quite ready for all that we are asking of it.

With my own two weeks of hell on move I headed to the pool last night after work. My upper body was already sore, but I kept trying to tell myself that a swim would just loosen things up. What a joke that was. I did manage an ok workout mostly consisting of drills. Though it was only a 1000M total it is always a mental boost to push through a workout when you aren't feeling your best. After my swim I did a flexibility and stretching routine. I'm trying my hardest to instill some of these good habits early. To often flexibility and stretching just get missed as the season moves along.

So as I sit here typing away I'm soooooo grateful that I have a computer job. Last nights workout has left my upper body very very sore. I'd be in some serious trouble if I had a job that required a lot of physical activity today.

Lastly just wanted to say Happy Birthday to Little Miss Runner Pants this KC girl rocks and she just signed up for her second marathon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once ran with big Mike to the grocery store on Grand and 47th. We each purhcased a bottle of chocolate milk and a bag of beef jerkey before running back to his place. He threw up four times on the return run and i only did twice. That is why I'm a better athelete than he is.

11:33 AM  
Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Reading your post, I realized that I have been taking my computer job for granted. It is good for recovery after tough workouts/races. It's also great for reading blogs throughout the day. Good luck with your blog.

7:29 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

OMG OMG!! i got mention! i feel so popular!! suh-weeeet!

um, DUDE, what were you thinking with this choco. milk and beef jerkey thing?! c'mon now!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home