Sunday, January 08, 2006

The wheel goes round

Besides doing some of the other normal Sunday chores like grocery shopping and laundry I did get to a spin class this afternoon. Today it was a different instructor with a different program. Overall it was another great workout. This instructor did a lot of more out of the saddle routines, which always put the legs to the test. With just a few minutes left in the class we had time for one more set. She left it up to us and then someone suggested stairs. So up and down 4 flights of stairs several times to finish off the workout. Not a bad way to spend an hour on a Sunday afternoon.

With getting back onto my training routine there is also the diet that goes along with it. Since I've taken time off from serious training since the end of October its no surprise that I've gained more than a few pounds. So I've started back on my training diet and I'm really trying to watch what I eat. Sometimes changing the diet around is harder then the training itself. I even went so far today as I buy all the ingredients to make my own trail mix for snacks. Hmmm maybe I have issues? :)

So the question that I pose to the few people who have found my blog is what do you give up when you get serious about your training or close to a race? There are always those individual foods that we all crave and would love to have but we fight hard to control those urges. What comes to mind for me at the moment is bagels w/ cream cheese. When I'm running late in the morning nothing sounds better to me then a blueberry bagel from Einstein Bros. Bagels. So what do you all deprive yourself of, or at least to a certain extent?

2 Comments:

Blogger mouse said...

coffee, alcohol, and with the alcohol goes the fried bar food.

hmmm... that's about it. I don't eat that unhealthily (is that a word?) all THAT often, so I don't really feel so much of a need to totally take things out. But I do try to clean up my diet a bit. Unless I really feel like I deserve a "cheat" meal after a long run. Then you may find me at steak 'n shake, sucking down a mint chocolate shake.

oh how I wish there were a steak 'n shake near me...

7:24 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

hmm. for the last m'thon, i gave up chocolate and french fries. which in a way totally sucked, but in a way, surprisingly, wasn't that bad.

for this one, i'm THISCLOSE to giving up coke. *sniff sniff*

yeah totally kidding. i have a coca-cola classic addiction that needs to be taken care of. that'll be a hard one for me.

my problem isn't that i eat "unhealthily" (totally a word!) its that i eat too much. so for this 'thon...its all about portion control!

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home