Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Twilight

Out of a dark dreamless sleep the unbearable sound of the alarm clock calls me to wake up. I hit the snooze almost praying that I fall back asleep and unconsciously turn off the alarm. Something from inside kicks me and I know I should just get up. I argue for a bit about only getting five hours of sleep, but I lose and I make my way up to a seated position to start the wakeup process. I look outside and notice that like myself the day is having a hard time starting as well. It’s still dark, but a few birds are chirping calling for the start the day.

I quietly gather my things trying not to wake Ms. R as I wasn’t smart enough to prepare all my stuff the night before. On this morning I wasn’t quiet enough as she wakes as I’m putting the last few pieces together. At least this allows me to say goodbye which I normally don’t get to do. A part of me is sorry for waking her, but I know that she will be asleep again in a matter of seconds. She is one of the lucky ones who can fall asleep very quickly anytime and anywhere. I quickly leave before the thought of crawling into the warm comfortable bed has a chance to take hold.

With gear, clothes, computer, water bottles, and food in hand I make my way out the door. The street is fairly quiet until a taxi drives by blasting its music. As its passes I listen and swear that the driver is listening to techno and smile at the notion. I drive in silence not even caring for the radio on this dark morning. Cars pass by and the drive is made up of white headlights, red taillights, and green road signs against the dark sky. I happen to look up at one point and see some dark blue muffled by the clouds. So that’s why it is still so dark. The huge cloud mass that has been around for the last few days is still there and fighting to hold back the light of a new day.

Like the clouds I have moments that I want to hold back the start of my day. The sore neck that plagued me the day before is still there. The idea of spending the next hour in the cold water is less then appealing. Unfortunately I don’t really have a choice. Goals and expectations have been set. The journey has begun and like many my day starts in the twilight of the morning…

2 Comments:

Blogger mouse said...

now that's what I like to hear. early morning workouts are finally calling you. :)

2:26 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

This was a nice post. I'm the same as Ms. R. I fall asleep so easily, it's great!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home