Sunday, March 26, 2006

Unfold Me

Last year during my first year of triathlons everything was fresh and new. Each workout meant something different then the previous one. For nine months I trained and raced in a sport I knew little about, but one I have come to love. There were many highs and many lows as I dealt with a plethora of new experiences. In the end I walked away with a whole new lifestyle, desires and ambitions. In the end I walked away a different person.

Entering my 2nd season of triathlons I have come with a full load of races and desires. I have entered this season in a position to watch new triathletes go through the same experiences that I went through last year and a part of me is a bit jealous. Jealous of how new everything is to them and remembering what it felt like. Part of this is due to the fact that my training hasn’t truly started yet. For the last three months I have been sort of floating through my training in anticipation for when I would really start. In a little over a week I will officially start my quest to complete a ½ Ironman.

The next 21 weeks will be full of highs and lows as I progress towards Pigman. The grueling hours of sweat, blood, and tears will no doubtingly completely open me up from the inside out. Exposing my strengths and weaknesses in hopes to prepare me for this challenge I have undertaken. Only by exposing everything can I hope to build myself up again and come out the other side as a stronger person and athlete. Only by pushing my limits will I ever find what my limits truly are. I think this process is so important and it’s truly why I’ve plunged head first into endurance sports.

For now I wait somewhat holding my breath for the beginning to arrive. It’s the nervousness and excitement all rolled together as I try to prepare for what will be a long and hard journey. A journey that I can’t wait to start yet scared of at the same time. I hope the next five months will leave me with those new experiences. Hoping that I will experience those highs and lows and meet the challenges that will unfold. Though as I write this post I really have no idea what the next 5 months will bring. The only thing I know for sure is that a week from Monday the countdown will begin. A new season…A new goal…A new race…

Bring it on Piggy!

7 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

you are gunna ROCK the pig, no doubt!

7:52 PM  
Blogger KT said...

How exciting! The start of a new adventure. Go you!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Great post! One of my favorite things about tri is the journey to get to the starting line. Sounds like you are pumped up for your journey to begin and that ROCKS!

5:26 AM  
Blogger mouse said...

someone once told me that saying you've run a marathon (as impressive as it is) isn't nearly as impressive as saying you've run two. because the second time around, you know what you're getting yourself into, and you subject yourself to it anyways.

good luck with the training!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Walchka! Walchka! Walchka! Walchka!

You need a theme song for the season! I will start thinking of one for you. And for me, for that matter.

Great post. ;)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

'Only by pushing my limits will I ever find what my limits truly are.' - I LOVE that quote. did you come up with that yourself?

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, great post, Thanks for all your assitstance with the TNT, Safety Bob These days are counting down and one of the things I have really enjoyed is sourounding myself with people that have simular goals and values. It for sure has laready chaged me.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home