Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sweat Shop

I think this is a pretty accurate description of our group cycle classes. Picture 30 people huddled together in an old racquetball court with only one fan trying to circulate air in the enclosed room. The only sounds you hear are the turn of pedals and the music coming from the stereo. Towels draped over trainers and my teammates grinding out another workout. This was my view last night when I would look up from my own bike. I actually brought my bike with me last night and it was so much nicer then using one of the studio trainers. I hadn’t ridden my bike since the fall. It felt so good to just lean forward on my aero bars and crank on the pedals.

Last night our workout consisted of 10 minutes on the bike followed by 5 minutes on the track repeats. Besides a few tips here and there our coach wasn’t talking much. This forces you to really concentrate and just focus on your biking. There weren’t very many smiles last night as people rode, which is a good indication that people are working hard. Being back on my bike I was like a kid in a candy store. I was probably smiling too much for some people.

I was riding next to my coach and as we were cooling down after the last run repeat when she says, with an evil smirk, that she has an idea. Oh boy, look out, this is going to hurt pops immediately into my head. So she has us get off our bikes and squat in a lunge position. For the next few minutes we go through a series of pulses and holds. As time wore on you could hear more grunts and sighs. I’m not gonna lie it hurt. That said I live for the sense of accomplishment after a hard workout. In my opinion there are few feelings that can match it...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

One of my old roommates used to say things like, "Man, I am SO craving a workout."

I would always respond with, "And I am SO craving chocolate."

I never understood. I still don't. But I do crave that feeling that sets in when they're over... Or if I'm lucky, during.

Cheers to lunges!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home