Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Join the Crowd

This was my only option as I arrived at the pool last night. The place was packed. There seemed to be about 5 to 6 people in each lane. Even in a 50 M pool it felt a little too crowded for my taste. I guess that’s mainly because I’m not the fastest swimmer and sometimes it hard not to feel like you are getting in someone’s way. Then of course there are times when you know you are as the person behind you is wearing fins and waits for an opening and then zooms past you. I felt pretty tight for most of my swim, but it is always good to grind out some laps even if you aren’t feeling the best. I stuck to just doing 100 repeats because of how busy it was, which allowed me to make sure I wasn’t holding up the show too much. The best part of the session was that one of my friends from my hometown came with me. He’s one of the best swimmers to come out of that place and he took some time to watch me swim and had several very useful things to work on. Since I’ve spent so much time coaching this season I haven’t really had much of a chance to have my own stroke looked at. For a guppy like myself I’ll take all the advice and pointers I can get.

After our dip in the pool we headed out to get some eats at one of the many local establishments near the U of M. After some good eats it was back to St. Paul and to the bar a short walk from my apartment. Now I don’t normally head to the bar on a Monday night, but we had to go have a couple celebratory drinks. One of our friends is finishing off his MBA this week and had spent most of the day at a job interview before they made him an offer for a job he’s really excited about. So we went out and had a couple while playing some pool and darts. Not a bad way to spend my after work hours. Now if it will only stay dry tonight so I can ride. Cross your fingers peoples...

Quote of the Day: Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic. - Unknown

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should come swim in my little town! at the local high school i've had a lane TO MYSELF for months. it's insane. i almost feel lonely in the pool. i'm sorry, that must be really obnoxious to read about considering your swim last night :) but i hear ya on the crowded swimming. boo.

8:24 AM  
Blogger mouse said...

for like two seconds, I was sitting here going, "walchka was in Michigan?" then I remembered that you people like to call your school U of M too, just so you can be like us.

posers. :)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Ditto to the Mouse. U of M? The schools should really start trademarking their abbreviations. Bygones.

5 people per lane? Welcome to my pool on a daily basis.

And I don't care how good you are at coaching, getting advice on your own stroke is always priceless. Why don't most people understand that?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Ya, I'll try something new today, like backing my car out of the garage so I can jump start it ( for the first time in my life.)
Oh wait, that didn't work out too well for me. Myabe I should've left that job to the professionals.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home