Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A Taste

In a previous post I wrote about the Ironman being the pinnacle of what I want to accomplish as a triathlete. Over the last few years I’ve watched the World Championships in Hawaii on TV. I’d sit there watching all these people pour out every ounce of energy to complete one of the toughest events man has ever created. The whole time being flooded with a gamut of feelings and emotions as I sat there and watched. I get the feeling that things will be all the more intense when I make the trek down to Madison, WI this fall. I have joined the likes of veteran Trimama as a volunteer for this year’s Ironman. I’ll start out in the gear bag area for the first four hours and then meet up with Trimama and the tribe over on the run for a second shift. I figured there was no better way to see what it is really like then by being involved in my Everest. Plus this will allow me a great venue for cheering on the likes of Iron Will, TriSaraTops, and everyone else racing.


Yesterday was the first day in over a week where we didn’t have any rain. I think the weather lady said that we had 8 days in a row of measurable rain. With the pavement dry it was time to saddle up and get a bike in. My legs left fresh last night and I kept a pretty good pace. It was great just to be riding again and the roads, trails, and paths were busy will people enjoying the warm dry weather. I started out along the river (Mississippi) in St. Paul before heading into Minneapolis and riding around a two of the several lakes the city has within its limits. Then it was back to the east side of the river to finish off a 27 mile ride. Hopefully this weather trend will continue because I need to spend some more time hammering the pedals.

4 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

Yahooooo! Very excited you'll be there too! So pumped to meet blogland friends. :)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

That's awesome that you're volunteering. I have been meaning to do that, too!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Rice said...

Great work. Keep your eye on the ball.

Cheers.

Rice

10:36 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

oh well done you! volunteering at races is SO much fun. i'm helping out TNT at the 15mile water-stop this saturday for the Olathe Marahton and i can't wait.

plus, that RBF meet-up will be full of inspiration for your own Ironman! very cool!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home