Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A bit longer

Well my plans for a long ride last night were once again nixed by Mother Nature. I guess if truth be told it was my fear of Mother Nature. Yesterday more storms rolled through the area. Again I veered toward the safe path and didn’t test whether I would get in a long ride without getting caught up in rain, hail, and the very fun headwind. Instead I headed out for a run after work. I debated doing a hill workout, but figured since I’m going to tackle Myrtle (Kim's 2nd Myrtle post)tonight that I’d save the hills for the bike. So the workout of choice was a longer run. I extended the 7 mile route that I did last week into downtown St. Paul to make it a 9+ mile trip. The weather was hot and humid and I was dripping wet in seconds. I tried to keep the pace relaxed and not burn out the legs right away. My legs appreciated this and kept a nice steady pace all the way to the turnaround. There is was a quick drink of water and stretch before heading back. About mile 7 the legs started to feel a bit heavy and tight. I’m sure I was a little dehydrated and my body was simply letting me know. Arriving home I was completely drenched and my front contained a nice collection of gnats. I mean who doesn’t want to look like a windshield after a long run. Despite the heat and humidity I felt pretty good and ended up with a nice 8:27/mil pace.

While doing my normal browsing on TriFuel I found this post about race t-shirt etiquette that you might find entertaining. Stay tuned for tails from Myrtle.

Quote of the Day: We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. - Norman MacEwan

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so passing this t-shirt link on to my Dad...

2:42 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Did you get a nice mouthful of gnats while running? That's always fun....mMMMMMM Protein!

ha ha

7:17 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Haha! That link of t-shirt etiquette was hilarious! So sad that someone would actually put that much thought into the thing, but it's all so true!!! :)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home