Monday, August 07, 2006

Finally

Well it seems like forever since I’ve had a long workout go as it should. Over the last few weeks it seems like there has been some weather, mechanical, or bodily issue that rears its angry head during my long workouts. For awhile I thought my calf issue from Thursday was going to take out my training again this weekend. Trying to do the right thing I rested my legs on Friday and Saturday. I felt I should walk normally first before running again. I swear the severe cramp actually pulled my calf muscle. At least that’s what it felt like. (That would be one for the headlines…Cramp pulls triathletes calf muscle…hmmm, I guess I don’t have a future in headline writing.) After the rest I needed to get in some miles. Nothing that running would most likely make things worse I decided to scrap my brick for the weekend and just do a long ride.

Sunday I set out and rode a little over 50 miles. It was a great day to be riding. It was windy and I defiantly felt it most of the ride, but it just seemed to stir me a bit more. I cruised along the rolling hills for over 2.5 hours averaging 19.4 mph. Towards the end I was staring to feel pretty tired, but felt great over the distance covered. Finally after arrived back at the starting point I was relieved to get off the saddle. I had worn my tri shorts in prep for Pigman and they just don’t offer the padding of normal bike shorts. My a$$ was a little sore. After getting some carbs and fluids I walked down to the beach where I had started my ride and strolled into the water. Nothing feels better then strolling through the cooler water after a long workout. Ahhhh I threw down a towel and just laid in the sun for a bit. My body was taxed but had smile on my face and I just relaxed in the warmth of the sun. The long ride was finished and I was left there admiring the nice tan lines biking always provides.

I think we need to have a contest kind of like the Kahuna’s Transition Olympics for the best tan lines from training. Though I had some nice ones from my ride on Sunday I know that they are far from what others have had. So if you are so inclined send in your pics with your training tan lines and I’ll post the winner at the end of the month. Now remember this is training tan lines and not ones you had after spending the day at the beach. :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The public health girl in me has to yell, WORST CONTEST EVER!! You should all be covering yourselves in sunscreen and wearing hats and sunglasses and exercising outside of peak sunlight hours so you stay pale!!!


(Who brought the no fun girl??)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Audrey is right! Wear sunscreen!

I normally rock a pretty sweet runner's tan, but not this year. Must be the cool er weather in San Francisco.

Hoping to pick up some tan lines in Madrid, today, though. We'll see...

12:39 AM  
Blogger Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Well Audrey, are awkward tanlines ever intentional? I mean, sometimes that sunscreen just sweats right off! I know I try but I still sport a fugly tan line on my arms that prohibits me from wearing sleeveless shirts most of the summer... And lets not even get started on the really hot pasty whiteness above where my shorts end...

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

does someone need an ass massage?! ;) fortunately i am in the hell hole of an abandoned warehouse doing pullups and pushups so i dont have weird crazy tan lines...LUCKY ME!

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home