Thursday, August 24, 2006

Strange

After all the hysteria that centered on Sunday’s race it was weird to come home last night after work and not have go train. It’s been months since I’ve had time off from some sort of training. I’ve got mixed feelings about it. Part of it is very nice, but at the same time that itch is starting to take shape already. I’ve imposed almost of full weeks rest after the beating my body took on Sunday. I know I need the recovery, but it’s all a little foreign. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve felt the need to really impose a true recovery. I should be using this time to get caught up on all the real life things I’ve been putting off the last month or so, but that hasn’t happened yet. Instead I went out for dinner with a buddy and had a few drinks afterwards. It was a strange to be in a bar during the week watching the baseball game while playing pool. I guess it just shows how influential my training is on my life. Not that I would have it any other way, but sometimes you lose track of how much time we put into our training. It’s only when the training is gone do you see how much of a focus our sport really is in our lives. Oh the old struggle of life vs. training continues to go on and on and on…

4 Comments:

Blogger Spandex King said...

It's hard. I always feel like, Damn!! I worked so hard to get there. If I don't keep going I'm going to lose it and then if start losing it, it will take that much longer to get back and then, and then, and then....... Panic attack!!! I'd better work out. No wait I shouldn't, yes you should, no, yes, no...... O

11:10 AM  
Blogger Sascha said...

Well and there's the whole, you keep eating like you're still training and suddenly you've put on a bunch of weight and you have to work doubletime to take it off again! To combat that this year, when my last race is done in October, I'm going to start training for my first Marathon in January.

Marathon training is great in the winter because it's all base miles unless you're a crazy elite. But it dovetails nicely with the rest of winter base training ;)

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!! great race!! i am SO impresesd by the 1/2 IM! Congratulations on an EXCELLENT race. You're enthusiasm is inspiring!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I get the same way at the end of the season. I end up sitting around the house feeling like I should be more productive. But I think the mental downtime is nice more than anything else. Having those days where you don't *have* to be outside if you don't want to be sure are nice. Keeps things fresh for the following year, at least.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home