Thursday, November 02, 2006

How it all started…

Habeela posed a question to me from my post yesterday regarding my venture into endurance sports so here is a little history lesson for ya. To be honest its relatively short history, but my background is running which stems from almost 20 years of playing soccer. Back in 2003 and 2004 I started running more regularly for both physical and mental wellbeing.

After a while I decided that I really needed some goals with all this running and I convinced my friend James to do ½ marathon with me. I spent the spring and summer of 2004 training for the fall race. During that time I went and saw my first triathlon. (Lifetime Fitness Triathlon) It immediately dawned on me that I had to give that a tri, because running just wasn’t the challenge that I was looking for. After completing the ½ marathon in the fall of 2004 I started to get in the pool and go through the pain and anguish of leaning how to swim. Yes I could swim, but swimming for distance was a big challenge and it took several months to get comfortable in the water.

2005 was my first year racing triathlons. I was hooked from the beginning, which was with TNT of course, and dove head first. I bought a tri bike before my first race because I knew that I would heart this sport. I did 5 races my first season and I haven’t looked back since.

This past year I continued my work with TNT as a mentor and coach while also pursuing my own goals in this sport. I did another handful of races this year including my first ½ Ironman and marathon in prep for Ironman Wisconsin next year.

So in short fashion that is my history in endurance sports. I haven’t been doing thing stuff for a long time, but I defiantly jumped right into the deep end. :)

Thanks for the question Habeela!

Next…

3 Comments:

Blogger mouse said...

i've got a question for you...

when are you going to realize that MinnesOOOOta sucks and move to Michigan so you can be my husband?

:)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Jumping into the deep end is the only way to go! :)

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow-i had no idea you played for almost 2/3 of your life. that is so cool! you must have played in college? anywhoo, good story...but yeah, when you are moving to marry mouse?

night!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home