Friday, January 26, 2007

A Path through the Forest

As I’ve been trying to work my way out of this little funk, or at least determine how that is going to happen I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about my motivation and drive. For undertaking something like the Ironman there has to be a certain amount of personal motivation and reason in the first place. I know my reasons and wants are there though they maybe somewhat hidden at the moment. This got me thinking to what catalysts usually help fire up the motivational juices. For one there is this blog community with tons of amazing people challenging themselves to accomplish their goals. Even though I haven’t been the best reader/commenter as of late, your posting still play an important role. I mean where else will you find people like Mouse who can be quoted as say such things as "screw getting a man who is rich, or a man who is hot. we want to marry an IRONMAN!" The other big catalyst that I’ve come to realize is my involvement with TNT. As a mentor and now as a coach I’ve come to appreciate everyone who takes up the TNT challenge. TNT was the beginning on my triathlon experience and this trend continues for many on our team members. Seeing someone and being apart of their journey from beginner to triathlete is almost beyond words. To work with someone and track their progress week to week and month to month is so motivating it’s ridiculous and most of the time they have no idea that they are having an effect me or anyone else. In short I miss my team and I’m so glad that we are starting up again in a matter of weeks.

So what does this all mean? Well for starters a portion of your motivation has to come from within. There has to be a part of you that says yes, I want to do this. The second aspect is that we are not all superhuman and can’t always do this all on our own. We have to be able to rely on others and take motivation and strength from outside ourselves. We go this way and that way struggling to find our way. It takes time, effort, and sometimes an outside influence, but eventually we will be able to put all the pieces together to find our way through the forest and end up at whatever we were searching for in the first place.

3 Comments:

Blogger MNFirefly said...

AWESOME post!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Christopher Mitchell said...

You can lean on me all you want if you'll just make me some of that venison pizza.

4:21 PM  
Blogger mouse said...

damn straight! i'd marry you any day, walchka.

but seriously, great post. you hit the nail on the head... the drive to want to do something like this DOES have to be largely internal. And I know we've talked about this before, but leaning on others isn't as scary as you think it is. trust me. you're going to be great. :)

and who the hell is "christopher"? I bet he's smokin' hot.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home