Tuesday, April 04, 2006

First Three Workouts

I ended my post last night a little abruptly because I really didn’t want to spoil the notion of starting my ½ Ironman training with the poor workout that actually took place. My swim yesterday was pretty miserable. The combination of trying to correct my stroke while not doing any more damage to my shoulder and trying to get back some of my endurance is a hairy one. This will continue for a while until I can scratch one of these items off the list. So there was nothing stellar about my swim. The only real accomplishment was that I didn’t drown. Hey I’ll take that everyday.

This morning it was an early run with my neighbor and fellow TNTer Kim. I think the nerves must have set in last night because I could not sleep. Not that I was thinking about my training or racing at all but something was going on. I only managed a couple hours of sleep before it was time to get up and run. Needless to say I wasn’t exactly thrilled to be getting up for an early run. I slammed a Gu packet and some water and we headed out the door. (Gu…the breakfast of champions) We ran a little under 5 miles, but it felt good to just run even if it wasn’t a very long run. I really like running in the early morning, when I can actually get my ass out of bed. It’s just a peaceful time of the day and it’s real easy just to get into that zone and run. There were quite a few runners out which was fun to see. With the hour change we actually got to see the sun come up. I always like leaving when it’s still a bit dark and about the time you finish the light is starting to really fill the sky. I knew the early morning run would leave me tired during the day, but it was such nice way to start my day.

This evening it was back to the pool to once again try and get things right. My buddy was going to come look at my stroke again, but he had to bail at the last minute. I was tempted to just scrap it, but I went anyway to see if things would be better. Overall it was a better swim then yesterday, but there is still plenty of work to do. I didn’t push things and I just concentrated on my technique. Working on technique is such a joy. I mean it really is the most exciting thing in the world. Anyway it is necessary and will continue to be until my shoulder issues are a thing of the past.

So there is just a little recap from my first two days toward Pigman. It’s still a long ways away but now I can really focus on this goal and race. I have a few important races along the way, but my main focus is set and there will be no wavering…

Now it is time for sleep. :)


Blogger Keryn said...

Technique may not be fun to focus on, but you can usually see pretty dramatic improvements if you stick with it.

I too love the morning workout that starts in the dark and ends with that brand new morning light. Morning is my favorite time...if I've had enough sleep. Something about the quality of the light gets to me.

It must be nice to have a neighbor to run with in the mornings. I'm jealous!

4:33 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sounds like you had a great morning run! Wish I had the motivation to wake up early to go running! On a side note, I had a weird dream again last night...you were in it...but looked like a mountain man...VERY strange!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home