Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mock Tri

Last night we had our first mock tri with the TNT folks. The distances were close to what a sprint tri would be. The swim was about a ½ mile, 12 on the bike, and then 6 on the run. I guess most sprints don’t end with a 6 miles run, but its all in preparation for the Olympic distance races that the team will be doing. I wasn’t exactly prepared as well as I could have been for this long workout. I just didn’t get quite enough sleep or hydration over the last couple of days. So I wasn’t exactly feeling like a million bucks when I arrived at Lake Nakomis last night. To simulate an actual race our coach even had everyone check in, get body marked, and had race numbers for everyone.

We did a mass start for the swim which is always interesting. I haven’t raced since last year so it took a little getting use to being around that many people and catching the occasional foot, arm, leg or feeling someone on feet. It wasn’t my greatest swim and even had to break stroke after taking in a huge mouth of water, yummy, but just finishing is always my motto when it comes to the swim. My race starts when I hit dry land.

The bike went off without a hitch. There was the occasional stopping for traffic, but other then that I cruised along between 19 and 21 mph. Then it was off the bike and on to the run. By this point I was starting to slow a bit, but felt pretty good during the first lap. I grabbed a water and a Gu to start the 2nd lap. Just for the record I hate runs that are a double loop. It really chaps my ass. Give me an out and back any day of the week. Anyway I kept a pretty good pace for most of the 2nd lap as well, but towards the end I was really starting to struggle. Not too much with my pace, though it slowed a bit, but with my stomach and just started feeling sick. I’ve never been sick during a race or workout, but I came close last night. I think it was a combination of the lack of sleep, water, and just simply pushing myself. After I finished I walked around away from the team for at least ten minutes. I wanted to make sure that if I was going to get sick it wasn’t going to be around my team. After cooling down a bit and getting some more water I felt better, but really tired. My finishing time was like 1:36 something.

Overall it was a great workout and I’m feeling pretty good about where I am endurance wise. I mean you can swim, bike, and run a lot, but it isn’t until you put them together do you really get an idea of where you are at. We have another mock coming up this weekend and we’ll do it all over again. This is kind of the final stage as we prep for our races. We’ll be leaving for Philly two weeks from tomorrow. Two weeks!

Quote of the Day: There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills

1 Comments:

Blogger KT said...

I am so with you on the out-and-backs. I hate running in circles, period.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home