Monday, June 05, 2006

Push the Tempo

Friday after work I was off for another beating at the massage therapist. True to history I left feeling like I’d been put through a grinder. The good/bad news part about the massage was that she worked on my left arch and said it felt like plantar fasciitis setting in. Not good peoples, but she was able to work some of it out and had me close to screaming out in pain. Not just a painful sigh, but holy crap what on earth are you doing to me type pain. Needless to say the rest of the evening was pretty easy going. I capped things off with some grilling and a couple of drinks with friends before calling it a night.

Saturday morning brought me back to the lakes for a group brick workout. The idea was to do a hard brick with some of the group. About half of us set off for a faster paced bike that went along part of the Lifetime Fitness Tri course. Besides the lights we help a really good pace. Our average was over 18.5 which was pretty good considering there were a few lights and stop signs we had to stop at. There were stretches that we were barreling down at 22, 23 mph. I felt like part of some hunting pack on the prowl. It was great and everyone kept up fairly well.

We returned after just about the same time that the other bike group did as well and we all stored our bikes and put on our running shoes for the 2nd half of the workout. I went with no socks for the first time this year. I knew that I was going to feel blisters and things like that within a few miles, but its time to get the feet ready for racing. The run went fairly well even though it was starting to get warm. I did stop at the water pumps to grab a couple of quick drinks to make sure I wasn’t dehydrating. As predicted I was starting to feel a couple of blisters about halfway into the run. I did my best to suck it up, but I’m sure they slowed me down a bit. Hopefully after a couple more runs and some liquid second skin I should be good to go.

It felt great when we finished up the brick workout. Everyone was working hard on an amazing Saturday morning. The temps were on the rise as the morning progressed which was good for training. It was definitely one of those workouts were you really feel a sense of accomplishment. Afterwards it was a large Jamba Juice as a few of us finally had a chance to sit down and relax after an intense workout.

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend. No matter what your results were just stepping up to the starting line is worth a congrats and a woot woot. We all train and race for a zillion different reasons, but we all show with the same courage as we step to that line and wait for the gun to go off. We are all there nervously waiting for things to get started whether it’s your first or 50th race. Everyone has chosen to make their way to that line and pursue some personal goal and that’s what makes this community so incredible…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, you know i feel your pain re: the sports massage. but it's good you did it!!

and i love socks. i would never not wear socks. i plan to wear them for the sprint (i did last time too). socks are my friend.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Blisters, plantar fascitis, and still Walchka sounds positive! That's the spirit man, that's the spirit.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home