Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Disney Recap

Last Monday I returned for the “Happiest Place on Earth,” aka Disney World. My TNT tri team was racing in the Walt Disney World Triathlon on the 24th. It was a crazy weekend with little down time. All I have to say is that it’s a lot easier being an athlete then a coach. That whole responsibility thing can really drain the batteries after a full weekend. It didn’t help that it took at least 45 minutes to get anywhere down there. That’s one of the downsides of staying at the Disney resorts. You can’t just hope in your car to get where you need to go. It was busses, shuttles, or fairies the whole weekend. We also spent a lot of time working on bikes. I had to set up a bike repair spot in my living room for most of the weekend. I don’t think the grease came off my hands til after I returned to MN.

So the highlights of the weekend included all my athletes finishing the race. Three athletes placed well during portions of the race. Kris placed 9th in her age group for the swim. Chris placed 9th in his age group for the run and Nick finished 21st overall in his age group. This was pretty exciting and they were stocked. It was a big race with 1500 racers so to do really well in any portion of the race is a big deal.

There were a few stressful moments when one guy on my team had a flat only a couple minutes into the bike. One girl made me sweat with a fairly slow swim. You always start to wonder and worry when most of the swimmers have come out of the water. Finally she arrived and I was able to breathe again. Myself and a couple other TNT coaches were lined up at the swim exit watching for our last swimmers, it was pretty comical.

Overall I was so proud of the way my team performed. The weather conditions were hot and muggy with temps reaching into the 90s. That’s a huge change from the 50s and 60s we left here in MN. They all finished with huge smiles on their faces. All which were made bigger by the time the victory party rolled around and a few drinks were consumed. The night didn’t end til after 1 AM, nothing like whopping it up at Disney World all night long. The victory parties are always a good time with all the different TNT teams there. We partied with some people from RI who I had met at the Philly tri back in June. It was a good way to wrap up the weekend.

Here is a link to a gallery with all the pictures I took that weekend. Disney TNT Tri weekend.

Oh and I don't want to hear the word "Magical" for like two years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home