Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Getting Caught Up

Life has taken me out of blogland for the last few days. Here is my attempt to get all caught up in one post. Ok, seat buckles fastened? Let’s go…

Saturday AM: Unfortunately we had to cancel our first team run this past weekend. The temp was still below average and below zero when 8:00 AM rolled around. We try to keep the best interest in our athletes in mind at all times and we figured that sending them home with frostbite would not be a good thing. So I did get one more Saturday morning to stay in bed. As much as I wanted to be out with the team it was nice to stay under the warm covers and head back to dream land.

Saturday PM: Ms. R and I spent the evening celebrating national rip-you-off-day, aka Valentine’s Days. hehe I actually have nothing against the idea behind the Hallmark holiday. I think it’s good to show appreciation and affection to those in your life. I just don’t like the fact of prices being jacked for the occasion. So instead of having to go give blood to send some flowers we took up a show after a nice dinner. Cirque du Soleil was in town and neither of us had seen it before. It was an entertaining show and we had a good time. It was a nice way to spend some time with just the two of us.

Sunday: I did my first double workout of the year. We went for a short run in the morning followed by a swim in the afternoon. The run was absolutely miserable. It was only like 3 miles, but it felt like 10. Nothing felt right and I struggled through most of it. Thankfully the swim went better. We had a group of 4 that ventured to the university in the afternoon. The pool was busy, but we were able to take over a lane for ourselves and proceeded to go long and strong.

Monday: Yoga…Like I need to say that it kicked my butt. It always kicks my butt, but I think its getting better. Hmm…that might be wishful thinking or the instructor is just trying to be nice.

Tuesday: Holy crap the pain. Tuesday is our group cycle night. Til we can get outside we use a spin class studio at a local gym. The problem is that we have a huge team (100+) so we have to schedule people at different times. Between me and the other coach we are leading spinning, running, and core workouts with people on ½ hour shifts. I started with running with our advanced group and then spinning for an hour with two beginner groups. Holy crap was I tired and sore after that. My calf muscles were close to cramping during the last spin session. I could feel them firing on every pedal stroke and I waiting for them to lock up. My voice was shot as well since the mic wasn’t working and I had to yell instructions. Overall everyone did really well and we managed to get over 80 people though a workout or two. If workouts like that don’t shock the body at this point in the season, I don’t know what will.

Wednesday: Happy Valentine’s Day for those of you who are into that sort of thing. Tonight we have our group swim. I’m not sure how my voice is going to fair after last night, but what can you do when you have to coach. Add in all that chlorine and dry air and you’ve got yourself a good old time. So that’s what on tap for tonight. We’ll see how the holiday affects our turnout. We’ll see who the diehards are tonight.

So whether you are working out, off doing who-knows-what with that special someone, doing the group get-together thing (maybe a little anti V-day vibe), or something completely different just make sure it’s what you truly want to be doing on this fine Hallmark holiday night…

2 Comments:

Blogger Audrey said...

i don't think reading about the constitution and then criminal law is exactly how every little girl dreams of spending valentines day when she grows up....

in all seriousness, i am giving a special thanks that the chocolate from my mom arrived safe and sound. i will also probably treat myself to some downloaded tv at some point this evening. seriously.

happy valentine's day to you and ms.r!

2:52 PM  
Blogger MNFirefly said...

Have fun at the group swim tonight. Stay warm!

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home