Thursday, January 26, 2006

Tension Goes Up

This is something you hear a lot during a spin class. You are either accelerating or upping the tension on the bike throughout the different drills. The good and bad part of a spin class is that it is truly your own workout. It’s up to you to push yourself throughout the entire workout. The instructors are always there to motivate and lead you through the drills, but you are in control of the tension of the bike and your pace. Last night I really concentrated on the tensions I was using. Wanting to get the most out of the workout I really upped the tension through most of the workout and especially when we were doing drills to simulate hills. The legs were a little rubbery after I was done with the class. Even though I was exhausted I left good knowing that I had really pushed myself throughout the workout.

Anyone who has trained seriously for any type of race knows that ache and pains are part of the game. We whine and complain that this or that hurts. That these muscles are tight or those joints are sore. I myself have done a fair amount of complaining over the years, but last night was the first time that I can remember complaining about stairs. After putting a load in the wash last night I walked into my living room and proceeded to tell Shadoweyes simply that “stairs are stupid.” That was it, but I had to laugh at myself a second later for actually complaining about stairs. I guess it just reinforced the fact that I had a good workout and for some reason I found the whole complaint quite humorous.

Oh and incase anyone was wondering, not that you really are, but doing a core workout at 6:00 AM really chaps my ass. Maybe it was because I was half awake while Mari Winsor was telling me what part of the workout is her favorite. Oh well one core workout in the books and many more to come.

3 Comments:

Blogger mouse said...

are you talking winsor pilates? because I was wondering if they're any good. my sis is also looking for stuff to do at home since she's limited on gym time with the rugrat around, so I told her I'd check on it for her. right now, her main source of exercise is Carmen Electra's cardio striptease. blech.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Bragger! I feel guilty! Last night I worked late and could NOT get a treadmill. (Yes, still bitter about it...) So I opted for spin, which I normally love, but just didn't feel like doing last night. At the end of class the instructor asked everyone to rate the difficulty of the class and everyone said 8. I said 3. Um, I think that would be MY fault!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I hate stairs! Always have. Probably always will! I picture hell as an eternal staircase with something nasty chasing me from below.

Congrats on pushing yourself during that spin class. I should probably find one in my area that I can attend. Seems like it'd be a lot more fun than sitting there alone on your trainer.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home