Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sore but still smiling

In my last post I alluded to getting in a hard workout last night and that's exactly what I did. Things started off in the pool, which was very crowded again. I was focusing on drills which can be a pretty big bore but I stuck it out and put in some good yardage. I was hoping to work on flip turns but there were just too many people around to be flailing around like a nubie for my taste. Someday I'll get the hang of the flip turn. It's all part of the trials of becoming a real swimmer and someday a shark like Wil.

With my arms and shoulders a bit tight and sore I left the pool and headed to the fitness center to lift. The fitness center was busy as well, but I managed to get through my exercises without having to wait to long. I did my best to keep my resting time to a minimum. The goal was to keep things as aerobic as possible. I finished off my routine in about an hour and then capped off the night with some stretching and flexibility exercises. Needless to say I felt pretty spent after I finally finished. At the same time it’s always a boost to wrap up a good long hard workout.

I'm not that surprised that I'm a little sore and stiff this morning after last night's workout. TriSaraTops made a good point yesterday when she noted that there is some enjoyment from being sore after a workout and I would have to agree. The aches and pains that come with training just prove that you are moving forward. That you are not just standing still and that you continue to push and test your limits. Above all it's just evidence that you are an active person and that you have taken it upon yourself to get to the gym or pool. That you will get up and go for that run even though it's easier to sleep in. Mainly that you care about your health and that you are willing to make the effort to see that you live a long and healthy life. So my hat is off to everyone who has taken it upon themselves to get out there and abide by an active and healthy lifestyle…

3 Comments:

Blogger Megs said...

swimming and then dry-land...oh lord. I remember the days. Keep up the great work!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

So long as it's not dryland and swimming in that order. I never could swim very well after lifting.

Nice work! :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Rice said...

Right back at ya Mike ;1

Cheers

Rice.

6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home