Tuesday, February 21, 2006

25 Percent

I talked to Shadoweyes last night and he seemed to be doing well. Overall it was a quick surgery that only took an hour or two. At least that was his best prediction of how long he was under. Apparently once they got started they discovered that there was a lot more damage then the MRI showed. The report that was given to his mom was that they ended up removing about 25% of the cartilage in his ankle. That is a substantial amount and it decreases the chances of him returning to many of the activities he enjoys, or trying new ones like do a tri like he was wanted to do. I guess we will have to wait and see how things go after he is done with rehab. Then again he always was one to beat the odds so I wouldn’t be surprised if he is able to do more then they currently think.


It’s hard not to contemplate my own bodily mishaps at the moment. The years of soccer have left me with a couple ankles and one knee that don’t function as they should. Plus lots of scar tissue and mis-sized muscles from when the strong ones had to compensate for the weaker ones to name a couple of the residual effects. Then you have my current situation and what is required of the body to train and race in endurance event. So this is just a small reminder to all you very active people, do take care and listen to your bodies. It will tell you when things aren’t right. The problem is how many times have we just shrugged if off and presses on? Until they figure out that whole cloning body parts thing we are stuck with the ones we got so please do your best to listen, listen, listen…

2 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

Very true! Hope Shadoweyes is back on his feet soon....and hope the news is good.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

I get points for listening today. I am SO tired. And starving. I forgot how training does that to you...

I promise not to go head over heels with my next comment, but stretching and yoga are great for keeping the joints in good condition.

I really gotta find some place to hide this soap box, don't I?

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home