Sunday, February 12, 2006

One Hundredth

Today I was down in my mom’s hometown for a special celebration. Tomorrow is my godmother’s, my mom’s aunt, 100th birthday. That’s right folks her 100th birthday. It’s pretty crazy to think that I’ve only been around for a little over a ¼ of her lifetime. Even with the life expectancy going up all the time, it’s rare that you hear of someone turning 100. Over the weekend friends and family came from all over the country to celebrate the birthday of one remarkable woman. She is one tough cookie that actually lived in her own home by herself til just before her 99th birthday last year. It was nice to go down and see relatives that I hadn’t seen in a number of years. It was great just to watch her smile at her great-grandchildren as they played on the floor in front of her. Lots of people turned out to say hello, have some cake, and have their picture taken with a wonderful old lady. Given her age she tired somewhat quickly, but you could tell that she really enjoyed her time as the center of attention. The local paper wrote up a nice article about her if you are interested it taking a look. Well at least the beginning and end of the article is about her. :) Austin Daily Herald Article

So the question that I pose is would like to live to be 100? Personally I’m not sure if I want to. I guess if I still had most of my marbles then the chance to experience that much life would be really cool, but that’s a long time to live. Maybe a little too much, but that’s just my take on things. So what’s yours?

2 Comments:

Blogger Trisaratops said...

What an awesome lady! :) Very cool that you got to celebrate with her!!!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I'd love to hit the century mark... provided that I could still walk, see, and hear. And to be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to the days of bridge and bingo!

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home