Wednesday, February 01, 2006

No future in telemarketing…darn

Like most people I make no claims about knowing what the future will be like or where I’ll be 5 years down the road, or any of that jazz. I will say that I am 100% certain that I have no future as a telemarketer. (I know it was on the top of my list too) This was made very clear to me last night. Part of the TNT mentor duties is to help out with the recruitment call back. This fun event has volunteers calling people back who a) signed up for an event and reminding them about the kickoff party, b) calling people who were at an informational meeting but haven’t registered, or c) calling people who expressed interest in TNT but did not attend a meeting. We were each given a list of names and numbers along with a little script to follow. Which is good for people like me. I’m a little bit of an introvert so calling strangers on the phone isn’t my normal cup of tea. So I’m a little bit nervous to begin with. The problem is that when I get nervous I start to talk a bit quicker than normal. This of course leads to a lot of mumbling and bit of stuttering. This is exactly what you want when you are trying to talk to someone or leaving them a message that they can understand. I wouldn’t be surprised if most people received this awful verbal spewage of undecipherable mumbo jumbo on their voice mail. So needless to say I will not be putting in an application at a telemarketing firm any time soon. The callback lasted about 2.5 and then it was all over. It’s all for a good cause so I would help out again, but it definitely is not one of my strengths.


Ok the work day is finally over and I'm off to the pool. Hopefully I can put in some serious yardage tonight after taking yesterday off. Hope you all had a good day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rice said...

I spend most of my day, not telemarketing but doing that kind of crap on the phone.. Its not easy and I been doing it for seven years and it doesn’t get any easier. I for one wish the phone was never invented.

Cheers.

Rice.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ugh. I feel your pain. I would have has a miserable time doing that. But like you said, it was for a good cause. Hopefully, the folks that you called were at least nice about it! I know some folks can tend to be mean when receiving solicitations (even though they signed up themselves!).

5:01 AM  
Blogger Okolo said...

I am so bad at this. Recently I was applying for and even considering taking a job as a financial advisor, and after making it to the second interview a phone simulation was setup.

OMG, I was terrible.

I was also once (in college) fired from US PIRG because when I called people and they said they weren't interested in donating to our cause for the day, I'd apologize for bothering them and bid them a good evening and hang up.

Since everyone starts off by saying no, clearly my numbers weren't good.

By the time they fired me I was happy to go.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home