Thursday, February 02, 2006

Grinding out some laps

As usual the pool was a bit busy last night when I arrived. It didn’t bother me as much as it normally does, because I was amped to grind out some laps. Now this is not my normal mindset when I’m headed to the pool, but after a day off I was looking to have a good long swim. After a short warm up I started my main set of 1500, by doing a 50 to 250 ladder. I felt relatively good in the water, but not as smooth as I would like to be. It didn’t take long before my arms were tight, but I pushed on. Toward the end I was starting to slow down a bit, but that was only during the last 150 or so. I ended with a short cool down and a couple of flip turns to end the session. I really need to start doing flip turns during my main set, but that will have to wait another day.

Just wanted to mention that Chris over at chivalry.net had a really good post about rest and knowing your limits. Rest is so important to an endurance athlete, but it actually takes a lot of effort to force yourself to rest when you are cruising through your training. So let’s all be smart this year and get the rest that we all need, especially at the start of the season when we sometimes do too much after the off-season because we are a little bit antsy.

Have a great day…

2 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Good luck with the flip turns, and thanks for giving me the justification I needed to just go home tonight and hit the sack early!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Great work on the swim! Yep, I'm learning the results of not properly resting...Chris's post was great!!! I've learned my lesson--the hard way though! :)

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home