Friday, February 17, 2006

Quick Turnaround

With the batteries running about empty last night I wasn’t exactly thrilled to be heading to my group swim. I knew that it would be good for me to go and that I can never spend enough time in the water. I felt pretty good in the water during our moderately hard workout. Just because of the numbers and space the group swims haven’t been as intense as my own workouts. Though I’m sure that will change as the season progresses. After the workout it was time to sit in the hot tub for a bit. My lack of energy was a thing of that past and I chatted with Eric another mentor as we relaxed in the hot tub.


The second group was just starting their workout. (Intermediates the 1st hour, Beginners the 2nd) This group is much larger then ours and our coach was running back and forth giving everyone instructions. After joking about how we should throw our coach in the pool we decided that we should lend a hand and help out. We each took an end of the pool to watch and instruct the swimmers. It was a bit surreal, I’m not a swimming expert by any means and here I was talking to the swimmers about drills, body position, and how to be efficient in the water. It was a neat feeling to be the one answering the questions instead of asking them like I was a year ago.


Spending that hour or so helping the other team members silently put a big smile on my face. Every time I work with the team or answer a question it reaffirms why I’m working with TNT and why I wanted to be a mentor. It’s amazing how it turned a long and hard day into a great day in only a matter of minutes…

2 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Those who can't do, TEACH.

Ha ha, totally kidding. But I bet teaching other people how to swim will make you better at swimming.

On that note, maybe I'll head straight to the top of the swim coaching ladder...

4:48 PM  
Blogger Teen said...

Nice work!
I know the feeling.
I led a buddy-workout in the pool last week for a group of our TNT triathletes. Although I am by far no expert swimmer myself it was a great feeling to be able to answer questions and be looked up by all these new triathletes. It totally made me remember why I got into all of this in the first place!
Go TEAM!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home