Friday, February 24, 2006

The End is Near

The work week is finally wrapping up which is super sweet. It’s been a pretty busy week and I’m looking forward to the weekend. Not that my weekend won’t be busy but we are suppose to have nice weather and a run or two will be necessary. It’s been almost two weeks since I last run which is crazy. No wonder I’ve been feeling the stress a bit more lately.


I managed to get about half of my swim workout in last night before more team members started showing up. We didn’t have quite as many swimmers last night so we were able to focus more and help out individual swimmers. One of the main things that we noticed last night was the newer swimmers were holding their breath while their face was in the water instead of exhaling during this time. It’s the body’s natural reaction when it feels the pressure of the water and it’s something that I struggled with last year. Within a couple of laps they were doing better and you could see their excitement. It was funny when I heard the latest Get Your Geek On podcast this morning and Iron Will told a story about this very topic. I swear half the battle I had with swimming was just overcoming the natural reactions the body has when it’s submerged.


My plans to stay in tonight and be fresh for my two workouts tomorrow morning have changed a bit. One of the other mentors is celebrating his birthday so I will be “forced” to go out so awhile tonight. We’ll be heading to downtown Minneapolis to hang out, throw a couple back, and watch many brave souls get up behind the mic. Now I’m not a big karaoke fan, but this is live band karaoke. It’s a whole different atmosphere with a live band playing along and doing covers/own material in between the requests. Plus you usually get one or two people who can sing and really get into it. They view it as they really are the lead singer of the band and go all out. This should call for an entertaining night which hopefully won’t go too late cause I got two group workouts starting at 8:00 AM. I can already sense the pain of that alarm clock going off.

Well I hope you Friday afternoon wraps up with relative ease. I’ll catch ya on the flip side…

4 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

This bar SO sounds like my dream entertainment destination! Karaoke with a real BAND? I normally lean towards Motown when "forced" to karaoke, but the band has me thinking Rolling Stones or Aerosmith... Please take some pics for us!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

OK--I'm not kidding here--we have this little place not far where Billy Morris, this guy that used to be in the band Warrant (as in "She's My Cherry Pie") plays guitar and has 2 buddies do drum and bass every Wednesday--and you can sing with the band! I've been known after throwing back a few Rolling Rocks to give my rendition of "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison.

Hope it's fun!!!!!!!!!

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, not to split hairs here...but you seem to have some real enthusiasm for karoake-despite what you may claim...

kick some ass tomorrow.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Dude. If I were have an adult swimming class, I think I'd have them start with bobbing up and down in the water like they have kids do. Half of swimming well, I think, is being comfortable in the water. Once you feel at peace in there is when you can make real gains in your technique and stroke.

Live karaoke... now *that's* an interesting concept! :)

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home