Monday, April 17, 2006

Swim, Lift, Bike, Fall

These were the major events in my day, but more on that later. Since my last post I’ve been busy training and spending some time with the fam over the holiday weekend. The biggest training news over the weekend was Saturday’s run when I went just under 10 miles. This was my longest run of the year and it felt pretty good. That might have been helped by the fact it wasn’t straight through because of our team run. I arrived early and ran 3+ miles before the group set off for our 6+ mile run. I did a little bit of doubling back with another one of the mentors to make sure we didn’t lose anyone. In the process my total crept to just under 10 miles total by my estimates. I felt pretty good through most of the run, which was nice. My heels were a little sore because my new shoes haven’t quite molded to my feet yet. Plus I’m still getting my quick laces to fit just right. Overall it was great to run a longer distance and feel somewhat ready for my ½ marathon coming up.

Saturday night Kim my neighbor and fellow TNTer had her climbing fundraiser. A local indoor rock climbing facility provided everyone with discounts on admission and equipment. There was a good turnout and she pulled in about $200 for the LLS, which is great. I think everyone had a great time and it was a great idea for a fundraiser. We had a few first-timers and they all did well and most of them really liked it. We had a couple of screams and worried faces but all in all people were enjoying themselves. Nice job Kimmi.

Sunday I was in and around my hometown for the holiday. I spent most of my time with my father’s family and enjoyed a nice early dinner with my extended family. I think there were about 40 of us so a pretty good turnout, but not the full crew by any means. What can I say; I come from a large family. It was kind of special because we had it at my grandfather’s house. This was the first major get-together he’s had since my grandma passed away a year and half ago. All the aunts were happy because of the babies that were in tow. Its kind of strange when your cousins who aren’t that much older then you start having babies. Its like I'm behind or something. :)

So back to the title of this post, I started the day off with a session at the pool followed by some weights. My swimming lungs are starting to feel like their former selves but they are not quite there yet. My shoulder is still a bit sore but I think things are headed in the right direction. This evening with the nice weather a bike ride was in order. It was a bit windy but I did one of my normal 20+ mile routes over the river into Minneapolis and around one of the larger lakes. I was just about home waiting for Kim to catch up when I got a little careless. I was turning around in a big wide loop when I rode through some of the gravel and sand on the streets still from the winter and down I went. I was a bit shocked. Did that really just happen? Did I just really fall off my bike? I got up laughing and checked the damage. (bike first of course) My bike was fine so I scanned for the bodily damage. Just a few scrapes and cuts on my legs and arms with one larger chuck missing from the palm of my hand from where I caught myself. The wound on my palm is about the size of a quarter with several layers of skin missing. It’s gonna feel great in the morning, but I still find the whole thing pretty funny. I guess if I had a digital camera, which I plan to remedy after my tax refund gets here, I could show you my “massive battle wounds.” :)

Lastly I just wanted to tip my hat to everyone who was running Boston today. I know there were a few TNT crews there. So congrats to all the runners!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over easter i made some flip comment about having extra rooms in the house for the grandkids and my mom said, "Well, we're waiting!!" AHHHHHHHHHHH. I'm the oldest of all of my sibs AND all of the cousins on that side of the family!!! Talk about pressure. At least there are already some grandkids to take the pressure off of you :)

I'm glad you got such a great weekend of workouts in. That's A LOT of workouts. LOVE IT! I hope your shoulder is doing okay.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Ouch!! Were you wearing gloves? I think you might need some if you don't.

Glad you and the bike are okay!!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Oh that's terrible! Of course you checked your bike first. I must admit had I been there, I would have laughed first, and then asked if you were OK, so we're even. ;)

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home