Thursday, June 22, 2006

Down To Hours

Only a half day of work to get through and then it’s off to the races. The countdown to my departure for Philly is only a matter of hours away. I know that it is more then a couple of hours away, but its less then 24. Hopefully I can stay somewhat on task this afternoon, because the race distractions are already starting to wonder into in my mindset. After work it will be some last minute errands, a TNT coach & mentor event, a load of wash, packing, and finishing off my pre-race mix. So it will be a busy evening but so be it. It just wouldn’t be my style if there wasn’t a little bit of scrambling before I travel.

Last night we had our last group workout before the race. We did a short 3 mile run and then hit the water for an easy swim. I didn’t swim for very long. I just wanted to get in the water to keep the arms loose. Things felt pretty good, but my elbow was a little achy. I guess I can stop mentioning stuff that is just the norm theses days. It was a nice workout and things are feeling pretty good going into this weekend. A couple people have asked what I expect for times on Sunday. The truth is I’m not sure and to race well and to finish strong are my main goals. Plus you never know what to expect for the first race of the year. That said I’ve listed below some splits that would be really nice to hit. Plus this will help anyone who is using the Race Tracker to judge how I’m doing.

Swim – :35, solely depends on how the shoulder and elbow respond to race pace
Bike – 1:15, this would be about 19.5 mph which I’d be really happy with
Run - :50, would love to hold 8 min/miles but that might be pushing it :)
Total: 2:40 – 2:45ish would be sweet

So there are some loose numbers that you can go by if you are tracking my splits on Sunday. Like I said I’m really not sure how things are going to go, but I think a 2:45ish finish would be a great way to start the season.

Ok I’m off to finish this, hopefully fly by, afternoon of work. I’ll try and make one for post before I leave. If by chance I can’t I hope you all have a good weekend and send your non-rain vibes towards Philly. I’ll catch ya on the flip side…

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHhh!! Race weekend! Have fun. Race hard!! Enjoy the east coast!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

GOOD LUCK MIKE!!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Trisaratops said...

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Teen said...

cCan't believe your weekend is already here! Best of luck to you! Can't wait for the race report!!

1:59 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

i'm so excited for you, i can't WAIT to hear about how you ROCKED this race!!!! you're going to do awesome, you've put in some serious training, and you're ready!!! go get 'em!! i'll be cheering for you, keep your ears open!! :)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Have SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun! I am going to be in PA, too - maybe I'll make it down to the race to cheer for you!

3:41 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

?!?!? oh man. can't wait to hear this race report!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home