Friday, June 16, 2006

Fish Kill

I just received a mass e-mail from the Philly Tri director about a large fish kill that occurred in the river that we will be swimming in next weekend. I had heard that the Schuykill River (pronounced skoo-gull, thanks Nic) isn’t the cleanest, but this isn’t helping the situation. I guess I’m not too worried about it, but it does make you wonder a bit when the state’s EPA is sending out health advisories. The good thing to note is that at least the race is keeping us informed. I don’t exactly live near Philly so I wouldn’t have had any clue that this was going on if the race director hadn’t taken the time to inform all the athletes. Thanks Mr. Beck for the info. The good news is that it sounds like things should be ok next weekend. (or is that just what they want us to believe?) Here a few bullet items that came in the e-mail incase you are interested.

1) This fish kill (which has ceased) was approximately 10 miles from the area in which we swim. And the fish kill (only hundreds of fish by the way) never extended substantially downstream.

2) It is my understanding that test results are being released today that show the River to be safe from the toxins that had caused the fish kill; it is these results which are opening the water back up again for regular use. Additionally, it is my understanding that the EPA’s advisory was made yesterday as a precaution until the results of the tests were known.

3) The “riverflow” of the Schuylkill currently is at roughly 1400 cfs, meaning that water is flowing at a good level. I’ve been told that the movement of water (and toxins) from the location of the fish kill to where we swim happens in periods of hours, not days or weeks.

4) While it’s not directly relevant to this fish kill issue, we have been testing water for bacteria, as we did last year. Our most recent test was Wednesday and the results were very positive in terms of the low counts. That’s great news

Tonight I have a DTM to work out all the toxic build up in my muscles. This should set things right for a couple hard workouts this weekend before easing off a bit next week before the race. This time next week I’ll be in Philly. I can’t wait! woohoo

Good luck to everyone racing to this weekend. Running Shorts is doing her first tri (go wish her luck) and TriSaraTops is racing as well. Sorry but that’s all I can recall off top of my head. My apologies if I missed ya. Have a great weekend everyone…

Quote of the Day: Exercise equipment for sale. Fat guy wants money for sofa. - Classified ad from the Sonora Union-Democrat, October 29, 1990

(A little Friday humor for ya)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks dude. I hope the lake water up north is clean :) We got our own advisory but it only had to do with the water temps. From the director: "a wetsuit wouldn't be a bad idea."

9:26 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

EW... You find me swimming in the murky wooder (water) of the Schuylkill anytime soon! If it's really nasty, just run on down to Jim's for a cheesesteak and a Yuengling Lager!

10:01 PM  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I don't know the specific details on this fish kill but a lot of times they are due to low levels of dissolved oxygen in the water, not toxins, in which case it will be fine for swimming in for you, just not for fish.

hope your race goes well and you don't come home with any extra appendages!

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home