Tuesday, June 27, 2006

So Much To Say

You can call off the search parties and missing person reports, because I’m back. My adventures in Philly came to an end as I arrived home a little before 1:00 AM this morning. It was good to finally be home after the long weekend, but it was one hell of a weekend in Philly. I will post a true race report, but it’s not going to happen this morning. To be fair I’ll divulge a little bit about my weekend and race.

First of all traveling with my team and meeting up with the other TNT chapters was awesome. We had such a good time and everyone was there supporting each other come race day. There were just under 250 TNT participants and the race course was lined with purple and green. Having a ton of people cheer for you and yell “Go Team” was pretty amazing. Ok more about the race.

For those of you who haven’t heard the race format was changed at the last minute. The raining weather on the east coast, in this case north of Philly, caused the water to be unsafe for swimming. They lucked out the day before with the sprint, but only 24 hours later the water was filled with debris and the water color had changed to a very dirty brown sludge color. As much as I wanted to do the full tri my thoughts went first to my teammates. For most of them this was going to be their first big tri and you could see the disappointment on their faces. Lucky they are all incredibly strong and pushed it off and prepared themselves for a dualthon. The du ended up being a 5K run, 40K bike, 10K run. I’ll fill you in more on the details later, but I’ll just say that this was a very challenging course. The bike course had a number of hills and turns to counteract the fast flats. What I can say is that I pushed my limits on Sunday morning and I’m still feeling the effects. (My body in not happy at all)

Here my results from the race. The first run I did in 20:48 for a 6:48 min/mil. I know I said there would be no PRs this weekend, but I guess I lied because I’ve never broken the 7 min/mil mark before in a race. I finished the bike in 1:17:17 for an average of 19.4 mph. Finally I capped off the race with a 49:34 10K at 7:59 min/mil just holding on to my sub 8 pace by the hair on my chiny chin chin. Tacking on my transitions T1- 1:44 and T2- 1:39 we end up with a 2:31 finishing time. I was pretty happy with how things turned out. I’ll give you all the details in the reports, but neededless to say I had one hell of a weekend in Philly.

To be continued…

7 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

holy $hit mike, sounds like you did INCREDIBLE! despite the swim portino being canceled, you certainly busted your ass on the runs! great work.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome!!!

8:03 AM  
Blogger mouse said...

I knew you all were going to be so disappointed when I tried tracking you all and it said that the format was changed.

way to make the most of the crappy conditions! at the very least, you got an awesome 5k PR out of it.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEah..NICE 5K PR!! That's very quick. Bummer about the swim but at least you got to rest your elbow. Anywhoo, I can't wait to hear the full scoop.

10:10 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

damn, you're fast. i'm bummed for your teammates, but it sounds like y'all made the best of it!

can't wait for the REAL report!! ;)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Habeela said...

What a great result in spite of not having the swim portion! Go Walchka!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Teen said...

Rock Star! Way to kick some butt and move on after a tough blow. I am looking forward to reading about the rest of the weekend! Go TEAM!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home